If you don’t have health insurance, you have until Sunday, February 15, to enroll in 2015 coverage.
If you miss the deadline, you will need to wait until this fall to enroll in coverage that won’t take begin until 2016.
Ways to enroll in coverage from us:
- Go to www.BCBSND.com/shop
- Call 1-800-280-BLUE (2583)
- Work with your independent insurance agent
- Visit one of our nine offices located throughout North Dakota
We will have staff taking phone calls the weekend of February 14-15 to help those seeking assistance enrolling by the deadline.
Sunday, February 15, is also the last day you can enroll in a new health insurance plan through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace at www.healthcare.gov. Our plans are offered on the Marketplace. You can select “North Dakota” as the state to shop for coverage at healthcare.gov.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You must enroll by February 15 to have coverage in 2015.
- You only need to enroll through the Marketplace if you plan to apply for a federal tax credit to help pay for your insurance. You can visit BCBSND’s Tax Credit Calculator to see if you might qualify.
- If you don’t want to apply for a tax credit, you can enroll in coverage directly from us at www.BCBSND.com/shop, or by calling 1-800-280-BLUE (2583).
- If you change jobs, move to a new state, experience the birth of a child, a change in marital status or another major life event after the deadline, you may qualify for a special enrollment period to purchase coverage.
- When filing your federal income taxes for the 2015 tax year you will be required to show proof that you had qualifying health insurance in 2015 to avoid paying a tax penalty.
We are here to help.
If you have questions, please call one of our health benefits consultants at 1-800-280-BLUE (2583), talk to your local independent agent, or visit one of our offices during regular business hours.
Ryan Schuster is an editor in the Communications department at Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Dakota.