A recent report by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) shows that 86 percent of North Dakota children age 0 to 3 who are covered under a BCBSND health plan are getting their early-childhood vaccinations.
We’re happy to take the lead in this area of child health and wellness, but we think we can do better, especially when it comes to boosting well-child visit rates in the state.
Why we’re No. 1
- Our value-based primary care model, BlueAlliance, helps families focus on what’s best for their children – and that includes regular vaccinations.
- As a company, we are a strong supporter of childhood immunizations recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- We take a broader view of health that focuses on six dimensions of health. It’s called BlueElements, and immunizations, which are part of preventive medicine, fits perfectly under our Physical Element. Learn more about BlueElements here.
Why we can do better
- We want to help families find a primary care physician (PCP) and medical team that fits their needs. Don’t have a PCP? Find one here.
- It’s been proven that regular well-child visits with the family PCP results in the right kind of care, including staying on schedule with vaccinations. Read more from the American Academy of Pediatrics about well-child visits here.
What you can do to be No. 1 in well-child visits
- Schedule a well-child appointment with your child’s PCP as early as you can in 2018 (if you haven’t already).
- Not sure if your child’s immunizations are up to date or you need to play a little catch-up? That’s OK! Take this CDC quiz to get a look at what you should discuss with your child’s PCP.
- Encourage your family and friends who are also parents or caregivers to do the same.